Sunday, March 13, 2011

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - The Tree of Tongues (2011) (1.0)



Release Date
"The Tree Of Tongues And Four AlphaBets" 2011 3rd Qtr


Facebook post

ATTN FRIENDS: After being 2300 miles away from home, numerous sleepless nights, being completely broke, living off of Ramen everyday and completing the last night of vocal tracking at 4am, "The Tree Of Tongues..." tracking is complete. IT IS VERY REAL. Official song titles will be posted soon. thank you guys for all your support!! Can't wait to share it with all of you!



In 2008, this band released their debut record I Have Made My Bed in Darkness which having gone crazy for Between the Buried and Me and some other bands combining Extreme Metal with progressive rock, within the last year, I was totally in love with them and that album.

For about 2 weeks maybe.

But then the vocals kind of hit me as being a little too high-in-the-mix, the Screaming/Punk/Core vocals specifically. Which sounds odd given I had/have learned to tolerate and even enjoy a lot of those kind of vocals. But I think they never were so high in the mix of the music, they didn't ruin or distract my ears.

I can claim to have had the same problem with bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Deftones, Thrice. And to an even worse degree Circa Survive (and I'll include Darla Farmer with them, but DF never repulsed me as bad as CS has, but maybe that is partially due to how annoying CS fans are).

But, I was just thinking, it may be worth revisiting IHMMBID again, just to see if I run into the same issues. Because before I did, I was totally into a lot of that record. Namely with the harsh -> beautiful sections.

So, what happens here, I guess has me curious. If the vocal style continues to fail though, I probably will forget about them. But they haven't gone that far under yet.