Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cynthesis - DeEvolution (2011) (1.0)



Facebook

myspace with a sample/edit of "Incision"

Biography
Cynthesis

Jasun Tipton - Guitars and Keys

Troy Tipton - Bass

Erik Rosvold - Vocals

Sean Flanegan - Drums



Cynthesis - DeEvolution

The music of Cynthesis is created by musicians who love progressive, cinematic - Rock/Metal music. DeEvolution tells the story of an elite group of leaders from a heavily industrialized city who find, brainwash and then exploit an indigenous tribes shaman, believing he would be the perfect supreme leader. By propping him up as possessing all the answers to societies ills the elites use him in order to gain and keep more control over the masses. They plan to influence the masses on several fronts: Religion, Media, Consumerism, Government.

Twin brothers, Jasun and Troy Tipton along with Erik Rosvold released two albums with the Progressive-Metal act Zero Hour. Michael Rensen of the premier German magazine Rock Hard proclaimed, "Zero Hour is one of the five Best Progressive Newcomers in the late '90s!" The band's second album "The Towers of Avarice" (Released by The Laser's Edge/Sensory label) won sparkling reviews from nearly every magazine around the World. Such magazines included Hit Parader, Metal Maniacs, Bass Player and Sci Fi (US), Aardschok (Netherlands), Metal Hammer (Hungary), Rock Hard (Germany, France), Heavy Oder Was? (Germany), Scream (Norway), BW&BK (Canada), Hard Rock (France) and in countless webzines and fanzines. The band quickly established a solid fan base around the World. Zero Hour successfully toured Europe and performed twice at Prog Power USA, the largest prog-metal music festival in the World, in Atlanta. In 2003, fans were dissapointed when Zero Hour parted ways with Erik Rosvold. Both "Metamorphosis" and "The Towers of Avarice" were considered progressive-metal classics.

In late 2007, Jasun began writing material for Cynthesis. As the music developed Jasun could only imagine one vocalist to really connect to the material. " I've always been a fan of Erik's vocals and I knew his lryic writing would be a perfect match for the material." explains Jasun. After one phone call both Jasun and Erik were very excited to work together again.

The final piece of the puzzle was to find an amazing drummer. Jasun asked Troy what drummer he would like to work with. Without any hesistation Troy said "Sean Flanegan is the guy". Sean's been a long time friend and played drums on Jasun's 2000 instrumental release, Night's Pulse. Sean is best know for his amazing work with the Progressive Rock band, Enchant (Blink of an eye & Tug of War)

The band has completed the tracking of DeEvolution and is in the process of being mixed by talented Producer/Engineer Dino Alden. 


Um, wow. I noticed a topic over on progressiveears.com about this earlier today. And for whatever reason, I only was mildly curious. Maybe due to the fact Zero Hour's recent music; well ever since Erik Rosvold left has really not done a lot for me. And Enchant I love, or used to really love, but still consider one of my favorite groups historically. But they've been on in-effect a hiatus for 7 years or more, save for a couple of festival appearances.

But the biggest deal about this is, it is Erik Rosvold singing with the Tipton brothers again. And the style seems rather in the vein of those 2 records Rosvold sang with them. Namely 2001's incredible The Towers of Avarice, which is really, one of the greatest "progressive metal" records ever made.

So, naturally, I am now very excited to hear this. And also the fact it's coming on April 19th, so becoming aware of it now is a great time. Although I am a bit surprised that there's been very little to no discussion about over even the last few months, let alone the last year when the idea came up.

Sean Flanegan's being involved I'm mildly curious about. Sean did play on Jasun Tipton's 2000 solo record Night's Pulse which I own. And while he's been a reasonable replacement for Paul Craddick with Enchant, I can't really say I've ever become infatuated with his drumming. But one thing is, I knew Sean had a relationship with the guys in Zero Hour. In fact, beyond Jason's solo record, I swear I heard about him playing with them at one point.

I had a discussion at ProgPower USA with a guy who used to live in the Bay Area where both Enchant and Zero Hour are from, and I actually have the discussion on tape somewhere. But having listened to that (among a number of other "man on the street" recordings I used to make for my radio show) a number of times, and my memory is he played with them previously. Before he was with Enchant of course. I want to say the band was called Chaos Theory or something.

I suppose I can try and dig up that tape soon and go back and hear more of the details of this.

edit: this article confirms part of the reference. The ZH members collaboration, maybe not. I just know he knew them. I talked to Sean at Nearfest in 2002 about Zero Hour I recall. And their definitely was a previous association, I thought beyond even him playing on Jason's solo record. But I'm talking about remembering something from 9 years ago, so some parts may be gray still.

No matter, this is something I'm already very much looking forward to. Rosvold I have always felt became an incredibly untapped talent once he left Zero Hour. And sadly, I'm not sure they ever have (or will) ever recover. But this project very well may be a way to change my mind.

Rather similar to the likes of Soundscape's return of sorts a few years ago, and of course the John Arch/Jim Matheos and the rest of Fates Warning save for Ray Alder project coming soon.

This Spring, not 1, but 2 potentially HUGE reunion records of sorts, that it was believed for many years, would never occur. What are the odds? But then again, the music will of course ultimately tell just how big a deal these reunions of sorts are. But with my love of them and their previous work, I want to be rather excited about them for now.


The Towers of Avarice Part 2? I am without question game for that, and in just a few short weeks even :D.