Wednesday, July 25, 2018

REACT TO: Radical Research: Episode 10 GINNCORE

I want to say before getting into the Reaction-To, I am really glad they made this podcast about this style of rock music as I wish more podcasts, youtube videos, articles and discussion took place about it.

And I do enjoy both of their opinions and these discussions as I not only have checked out this one, but a few older ones (the 1 on Italian prog for example, and Ulver both were enjoyable discussion topics).

Radical Research Episode 10 Podcast Link

Cave In
Glassjaw
Mew
The Mars Volta
Deftones
Coheed and Cambria
Three
dredg
Fair to Midland

mentioned but not in detail:
Circa Survive
Jolly

dismissed:
System of a Down
Oceansize
Protest the Hero-too metal/metalcore?

I could make this an extensive criticism if I wanted to and found the time, and even the fact they recorded their longest podcast at nearly 2 hours for this topic, but I will try and limit this Reaction-to as much as I can (or maybe do a 2nd? lol..more likely a spinoff and/or a podcast of my own which could go on for 2 hours as well, but I probably would burn out after no longer than 45 or 50 minutes only due to the fact I was just talking to myself for that long).

First off, I agree on the time frame for the most part, as the bands and this very hard to describe style of Rock and Pop music really came to be in the 2000's. Now semantics of course, but like words like "pretentious" and "listens"..using the term "Oughts/0ughts" is frankly poor use and rather annoying. It is only 1 level removed from "naughties/noughties/n0ughties" blech.

For the love of God, please Call the fucking decade "THE 2000's/TWO-THOUSAND's."

But of course they won't and so much media won't maybe for decades to come when they finally get it.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .“~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. . {.._ ;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\



2nd point, "Ginncore" while they explained how the term came up per Hunter Ginn's name and they couldn't really find a good word describe these bands. I guess based on that, the style could be just called Allmediareviews-Rock or Allmediareviews-Rock for the 21st Century, lol.

It's purely arbitrary and more or less in no way describes the bands sound or even aesthetic really other than the word "core" referring to coming or having elements of Hardcore Punk Rock.

The bands also that fall-into "Ginncore" and don't? So Deftones, Glassjaw and Circa Survive do  but System of a Down and Oceansize do not? eh, okay.

I would argue being "progressive" or even having a "prog rock" sound/style/influence etc, SOAD and Oceansize find that territory A LOT MORE than those 3.

Cave In? meh, maybe. I can follow why some consider them having progressive elements, I just never could get fully into them. I recall liking either 1 of their EPs, or a few of the songs some of the Kaddisfly fans suggested. But then when I checked like Jupiter it may have been, I was a little underwhelmed. I dunno, they may be a band I could check out again and enjoy more.

I do like some of the names they brought up, the DNA having Faith No More and Jane's Addiction. And even Jeff's point about bands from the late 70's like 10cc, Crack the Sky? (I should hear more from them I guess) and some others who combined pop/power-pop with progressive and/or art rock well.

I.e. bands who weren't pure prog rock, but used it within their songwriting to be melodic and yet artsy.

Those traits didn't begin with Radiohead and Tool really..look at King's X or Jellyfish or Kevin Gilbert or XTC or Tears for Fears (even U2 in some ways), and yes, go back to the 70's, even some of the 60's to a point.

Art-Pop-Rock?

Maybe 1 good way ti describe this stuff is "Art Pop/Rock?"
and for the 2000's, call a lot of it Heavy Art Pop-Rock?

dunno.

The names they included, The Mars Volta, dredg, Three, Coheed, Fair to Midland, and Mew even who maybe a bit of an outlier among that group, all fit/make sense. However maybe not now, but later tonight, I will try and come out up with 10 or maybe even 20 others that I would consider essential among this stuff.

anticipate an EDIT?


I think 1 or 2 that totally would make sense are Oceansize and The Dear Hunter (and TREOS even). Why they didn't mention The Dear Hunter? maybe they don't like or even know them. And I suppose they also have found more attention in the 2010's (TWENTY-TENS) I guess. But this decade, they can be argued to among if not the most important band in this style (Heavy Art Pop/Rock or my term PCR=Progressive College Rock.......or PCPR= Progressive College Pop-Rock ?).

Also the lack of "Post Rock" (and "Math Rock") is surprising, but perhaps they will do another podcast about that or the umbrella of this style.

Okay, so I've selected 10-15 bands/artists of both decades this Century beyond the 6 names they included in their podcast that I consider essential (dredg, The Mars Volta, Mew, Coheed, Three and Fair to Midland).

Obviously there are many others I could include (The Decembersists, Karnivool, 22 and many more).
I guess I think of these artists as important and at least somewhat prolific other than say The River Empires

edit:
2000's (Two Thousands)
Anathallo
Apes and Androids/Call Florence Pow
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Kaddisfly
Kiss Kiss
Muse
Oceansize
Ours
Porcupine Tree
Pure Reason Revolution

2010's (Twenty-Tens)
Anathema
Bend Sinister
Bent Knee
The Family Crest
Foals
Kimbra
Major Parkinson
Pepe Deluxe
Janelle Monae
The Reign of Kindo/Kindo
The River Empires
Small Leaks Sink Ships
Steven Wilson