Tuesday, July 17, 2018

MINUS THE BEAR: Rest in Peace

So to see Minus the Bear finally call it a day, I guess does not come as some highly surprising shock.
They seem to kind of plateau maybe a couple of years back on a commercial level.

And musically? while I wish I could say they were making music I loved recently, I can't totally say that. At the same time, I guess I can admit to enjoying some of the songs from Infinity Overhead and OMNI.

VOIDS? I'm guilty to having never checked out largely due to reading comments about it not straying all that much from their recent records.

Of course the deal for me with Minus the Bear:

I could never fully get into them until 2007 with Planet of Ice, which is their most prog-rock like. I read more than 1 thing with the members saying they were listening to a lot of King Crimson when they wrote it.

They combined college rock, with mathrock and some pop sensibilities on it, that seemed to really work.

I recall going back to their previous records Menos el Oso and Highly Refined Pirates, and even an EP or 2, and finding more to like than before.

Although the issue with the vocals being soft, or something, I still think exists, but it doesn't bother me as much.

I guess I cannot forget seeing them live. I saw them, 3 or 4 times. I can't recall.

The 1st time was with The Helio Sequence at First Avenue. And while they were good, THS were better. Honestly MUCH better, and this was on the Planet of Ice tour in 2007.

Anyway, then I saw them again, I think in 2008 with Annuals at The Varsity Theater. Annuals I had seen a few times before and were really good (group drum jams included), and like The Helio Sequence, Annuals were better, lol.

I don't remember when I saw them again after that, but one other time was with my gf I want to say in 2012 at The Varsity Theater again, with The Velvet Teen. And while I'm not sure if TVT like Annuals and The Helio Sequence, out-staged them, I can saw I went to see TVT more.

I mean I can't say I'm happy they are ending, but at the same time, I'm not depressed. I would be up for seeing them 1 last time at The Varsity Theater on 10/15, although as it turns out, it is the same night I was thinking of seeing The Church at The Turf Club.

also a note, they mentioned Planet of Ice, Crimson and progrock when they guested on Live from Daryl's House, which I recall they did a cover of something off Sacred Songs, the album Daryl Hall made with Robert Fripp.

RIP Minus the Bear. Someone said Foals may not be around without them, which if so, I am grateful. It just adds to the list of bands what I might look at the "Golden Era" of progressive college rock in the mid-late 2000''s until today, who are gone.

RIP.

Facebook Post

Image may contain: one or more people

Friends,

After almost two decades of writing and touring the world together, we have decided to close this chapter of our lives as Minus the Bear.

What started as a silly inside joke inside the dingy confines of Seattle’s original Cha Cha Lounge back in 2001 quickly snowballed into years of adventures, creativity, and friendship. We could have never predicted the wild journey about to begin. We’ve accomplished so much over the past 17 years, and we are grateful for the experience.

Undoubtedly we owe all of these adventures to you, our fans. Without all of you, the memories of traveling the world, exploring different cultures, and witnessing the delight of your beautiful faces singing along wouldn’t have been possible. Your support weathered us through storms that easily could have scuttled the band. Throughout the years, it’s you who kept us going. We cannot thank you enough.

This Autumn we head out on our final tour in support of our upcoming 4-song EP “Fair Enough” courtesy of Suicide Squeeze Records. You can hear the title track and read our interview here: https://bit.ly/2utoQ1d

These final shows are a celebration for the community of fans who gave us so much through years of dedication. We’ll be digging deep in the MTB catalogue and we are honored for the opportunity to play our hearts out for you one last time.

Love,

Alex, Cory, Dave and Jake


Image may contain: 1 person, text