Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Jon Anderson @ The Guthrie Theater (8/16/2010)



Here's what I posted on a couple of the forums.

I just recalled the set list basically, although I only got about 75 or 80% right since I didn't recall or know everything.

Time and a Word
Sweet Dreams
Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper
Your Move
Roundabout
Long Distance Runaround
And You and I (w/ the proper chord challenge)
a snippet of
Ritual (Nous sommes du Soleil chorus)
Soon
Owner of a Lonely Heart


Tony and Me
little snippets
-She Loves You (The Beatles)
-Help Me Rhonda (The Beach Boys)
-Wake Up Little Suzi (Everly Brothers)
-Revealing Science of God

State of Independence
I'll Find My Way Home

Show Me
+ 1 or 2 others I'm not familiar enough with to remember.

edit:
Music is the God of the World

he was supposed to do "To the Runner" from Olias of Sunnhillow since it was on the set list, but I don't believe he remembered to include it.

Also part of last night's show that I took away was his usual humor. He kept adding/changing "Minnesota" to many lyrics which I found charming.

But overall, I mean to see him sing all those Yes tunes, and play different stripped-down acoustic versions, with him playing guitar, I couldn't help but get into and appreciate. Sure, he's not Steve Howe, and he did struggle with And You and I and maybe 1 or 2 others, but I didn't and I sensed most of the crowd didn't care.

I mean certainly I would have liked to have heard To the Runner or anything off Olias. Or even some of the deeper Yes tunes such as Turn of the Century or The Sweetness or something rare. And my friend whose traveled to see him a handful of times since the initial time back in 2004 when we went Philadelphia to see him, has seen him do other music.

But I'm happy we finally got a show here no matter. And the numbers seemed pretty good there last night. He seemed to like The Guthrie Theater. Perhaps he'll be back again. And perhaps Yes will as well soon enough, with Benoit David or preferably/but less likely, Jon himself again.

Another cool part of it was seeing some of the Twin Cities regular prog-fans. It sort of felt like reunion or convention in a way. I ran into some folks I hadn't seen in a number of years, which was another great part of the show.

here's a couple of recent live clips (not from the show last night of course).