Thursday, November 16, 2017

Authoring Books (RANT)

I don't know if I really need to, or maybe I've meant to more in detail, but I'm just going to RANT about something.

Some of these people I keep seeing writing and publishing books about music.

Now the likes of Jeff Wagner and even to a lesser extent Lorenzo with altprogcore and Roi with The Prog Report have done them. Rich Wilson as well. And I applaud them in a lot of ways, but also can't help but be envious and even just feeling like something not exactly fair given I have not written and published a book.

But I suspect all of them, especially Jeff Wagner, has a fair amount more time to devote/dedicate to making them, and if/when I would, I would see my ability to make a book too.

And then now seeing the likes of Andrea Swensson and Chris Riemenschneider publishing books about Minnesota music and First Avenue, just reeks of an unfair position of opportunity. I mean yeah they both do it professionally, and I don't. But I just think they are 2 people who I really couldn't care less about their taste/take on those subjects.

Which maybe it shouldn't be, but it is kind of getting a little under my skin and really wanting to make things more fair.

 . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .“~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–==“
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

And maybe the best if not only way to do that is to try and write and publish my own gawd damn book about music.

I have mentioned that milestone over the last year or 2, and it will undoubtedly happen within the next year. But maybe the thing to do after it is reached is to seriously allot my time into figuring out and working on a book.

And my 1st thought is, not to try any kind of Crowd Sourcing or anything, as unlike many others, I just don't feel like I want to beg for others money.

But along with that milestone, if/when I do publish a book, I'm gonna enjoy sitting back and grinning at all the other folks who had the privilege and time I do not.

Because I feel I could actually write a book that will not only represent my own taste, but many others out there, who don't find their tastes represented in many of these so-called expert music books.

And it also can be added just about Social Media and the attention so many of these people get that just doesn't seem more than just finding Sheeples (sheep).  Theres a ton of Music content (journalism, if you want to call it that) that is either about awful music (mostly hipster trash, like 98% of the Hip-Hop and Punk especially), or is about music that is derivative (just in Prog, kissing the ass of what to me is terribly boring, predictable music we've heard many others do before and better).

I dunno, maybe some of it has started to get to me worse than before, but I just think the work I do in here is so much more interesting than the crap that all the lemmings swallow up, at some point, it just seems to have gone too far. Perhaps that may spell the end of this blog? or maybe just a break.

I just think the way music journalism is and online is just sad and pathetic, although it existed more or less since Lester Bangs began I suppose.