Tuesday, February 26, 2013

David Bowie - The Next Day (2013)

2/26/13 9:22AM

This is the new/2nd video (and single?) from this record "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)"

rather provocative and gender-bending with  Bowie and Tilda Swinton featured . I guess Tilda has been likened often to how Bowie looked especially in the 70's. (not sure if this is NSFW, as I had to stop it out of concern).

The song itself I heard on 89.3 this morning and I'm liking it a fair amount more than "Where Are We Now?"
which may raise the optimism for this record a little more being as good a song as this new song/single is.


1/8/13 5:59AM
http://www.davidbowie.com/news

This album drops on March 11th. The 1st video/single is below. Not a bad tune, namely how it picks up towards the end. More to add later, but I guess Tony Levin played on this album which is noteworthy.

I guess I'll add just briefly my 2 cents about this/Bowie. I never was hugely into him, until about 10 years ago when a co-worker at my old job burned me a bunch of his records. And at that point, I realized how diverse he was, including a period of his music could be described as prog. I'm referring to mainly the Ziggy Stardust period, and from an album like Hunky Dory, the string arrangements drew me to some of his songs, namely "Life On Mars?" Rick Wakeman even played with Bowie, although not on Ziggy Stardust (as many think of). It was the fact he had the 2 offers at once, 1 to join Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders band, and the other was Yes. Whether he chose the right band, who knows. It can be argued either way, but the fact is, he did play with Bowie and his impact is noticed on a lot of those early Bowie records.

And I enjoyed parts of more or less every record this coworker burned for me, but I can't say any one specifically ever stood out over others, although I'll admit to not spending great amounts of time with them. I do recall of his 2 most recent records, I enjoyed Heathen much more than Reality. I remember Heathen being more consistent, more energetic, and layered (and heavy even?). Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater, even made an appearance on it.

So, I am not expecting a ton with this album, but, if resembles Heathen more than Reality, that would be my preference at this point.And having Tony Levin on it can't hurt.

I'm not sure if the way the image below is, with the title like that, is the actual cover, or the image on his website without his name and the title is. But I'll go with the 1 below for now.

Barnbrook designs for David Bowie
1 The Next Day 3:51
2 Dirty Boys 2:58
3 The Stars (Are Out Tonight) 3:56
4 Love Is Lost 3:57
5 Where Are We Now? 4:08
6 Valentine's Day 3:01
7 If You Can See Me 3:16
8 I'd Rather Be High 3:53
9 Boss of Me 4:09
10 Dancing Out in Space 3:24
11 How Does the Grass Grow 4:33
12 (You Will) Set the World on Fire 3:30
13 You Feel So Lonely You Could Die 4:41
14 Heat 4:25

Bonus tracks:
15. “So She”
16. “I’ll Take You There”
17. “Plan”



DAVID BOWIE Where We Are Now? (New Single 2013) from Videodrome Discothèque on Vimeo.