Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cynic - The Portal Tapes (2012)

I stumbled on this on rateyourmusic earlier. If I am not mistaken, this ain't the new full-length record they are working on, but "old demos."

Now, given my appreciation for Focus, these might hold some intrigue. I recall some of this work was included on 1 or more of the Focus remasters, one of I personally purchased. But perhaps the versions on this  will differ in both arrangement and mix.

Why this was placed under their normal discography, rather than "Compilations" on rym, is confusing. But so be it. I'm curious about these, but don't want to go overboard about this. This is not their all-new material release that is expected to come in 2012. But I suppose this should tide myself and the bigger Cynic fans over a bit until then.

story



As previously announced, Cynic will finally share the legendary "Portal" demos on a worldwide scale. "The Portal Tapes" will be released on March 23rd (March 27th in North America) through Season of Mist. The track listing is as follows:



1. Endless Endeavors
2. Karma's Plight
3. Circle
4. Costumed in Grace
5. Cosmos
6. Crawl Above
7. Mirror Child
8. Road to You
9. Belong
10. Not the Same

The artwork was designed by the late Robert Venosa, the artist behind the cover artworks of all Cynic releases. "The Portal Tapes" will be released in strictly limited editions of 5000 digipak CDs and 1000 vinyl LPs.