Friday, January 29, 2010

Daria - the tv show



I have seen this show. I love Beavis and Butthead, but often felt this show was just a 2nd or 3rd rate female-perspective/version of Beavis without the videos or nearly as much dumb humor.

Mike Judge I guess didn't even do any of the writing or producing believe it or not. He was off doing King of the Hill and Office Space I imagine at that time.

Well many years later..I might be kind of wrong. Right and wrong. Having enjoyed sarcastic female-empowered, nerdy-girl, clever outcast, pop-culture referencing characters in Hollywood and even graphic novel form.

The likes of

Enid (Ghost World)
Linda Cardellini in Freaks and Geeks
Lorelai Gilmore
Ellen Page in Juno
Kristen Bell in Veronica Mars
Sarah Michelle Gellar in Buffy

and any number of others I'm not remembering at the moment.

Daria falls in there. She's snide, cynical, but totally belonging in her own brilliant world.

So, I haven't yet, but the show lasted about as long as Beavis did. 1997-2001. Many of the episodes are actually viewable (save for 1 or 2 the writing being backwards) on Youtube. They made 1 or 2 movies as well I guess.

Do I expect it to be as good as Beavis? hardly. But I think I've slept on a pretty great show not having watched more than a few episodes.

Funny thing is too about Daria, on Beavis and her show itself, I always assumed the voice was done by Janeane Garofalo. But actually it is Tracy Grandstaff who actually is rather nothing like Daria physically at all.

Just from seeing and reading this interview on Underground tv




the dude on that site actually does a podcast that I can relate to a bit. The 1 I streamed he basically echoed my thoughts about 99% of all podcasts out there. But I'm curious if he ever heard the Psych Podcast I and my friend do.

At any case, Daria the show is on my to-watch list right now certainly. I may have to go on a lot more about it when I finally am able to watch most if not all of the episodes.

Oh and funny how Janeane Garofalo hosted a behind-the-scenes thing for the show, lol.

No comments :