Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Gritty Gals of Rock'n Blues (WDGY Radio)

The Gritty Gals of Rock'n Blues On Facebook

So I wanted to post something about this show/podcast? that WDGY ("WEDGE-Y" to me, even though they say it "WEE-JEE" like a "OUIJA Board"), airs every Sunday morning at 9:30AM.

I've been tuning into their show since late June (25th I think, as I had it on when I was moving)

These 2 ladies, Cindy Mack and Leslie McKee aka The EFFENHEIMER SISTERS make a neat little 25-30 minute show each week telling the history/story about 1 female musician.

From memory the episodes I've heard

Blondie
Miss Piggy (from The Muppets)
Patsy Cline
Karen Carpenter
Carly Simon
Linda Ronstadt
Heart (2-Parts)
Dolly Parton

edit: Lydia Pence (of Cold Blood)

I want to guess they also featured maybe some if not all of:
Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin.

And I know they mentioned a couple of weeks back at the end of the Linda Ronstadt episode, they have 1 coming up featuring Carole Kaye (of The Wrecking Crew).

This kind of got me thinking about
the Entry I posted with NPR 150 Female Musician Albums and MY OWN HERE
and their show now, which I suppose it was purely coincidence the 2 female-music aficionados started a show around the time of that NPR list (actually their show began before it was published in fact per the NPR list came out on July 24th, 2017).

But as far as specialty shows and podcasts of late, this has been 1 of my favorites, and I could see more people enjoying their shows. It's just at 9:30AM every Sunday morning, both in the Twin Cities (multiple frequencies: 92.1, 103.7, 740AM and 107.1 in HD) and on WDGY's Website which streams live.

I'm not clear if their shows are podcasted/stream or downloadable at this point (although they should, maybe even just on archive.org).

And in fact I am likely to call-in to their hotline 855-851-2440 (a440 studios) and leave them a message. Maybe a request or 2 (Annie Haslam of Renaissance namely among others).

What I'm not certain is, are they strictly only featuring women whose music careers go back to the 50's, 60's and 70's? or might they include some from the 80's and even 90's? 

I guess partially per it seems there are a lot of women who have flourished in the last couple of decades compared to previous times..Lilith Fair?