Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Rest in Peace John Wetton

Teamrock.com
Image result for john wetton

The progressive rock and classic rock have a lot of aging musicians unfortunately, although with John Wetton, his medical battles have been well chronicled for many years. On more than 1 occasion I know he had to bow out of gigs with Asia in the last 10 years.

I guess beyond the Cancer he just succumbed to, Alcoholism and Heart Disease.

Because he has been such a beloved talent spanning talents with King Crimson, U.K., Asia and I was unaware, Uriah Heap and Roxy Music among others.

He had a big, deep voice, that you always knew was him. His bass playing also came among his talents, just within the Crimson work he did.

I sadly never got to see him, but I may have to pursue more of the Crimson and U.K. live work.

Greg Lake, Keith Emerson and now John...and Chris Squire. 3 of the most recognizable bassists in progressive rock have left us in less than 2 years.

And all to Cancer no less.

And for that matter, 2 of the vocalists from King Crimson. I hope Adrian Belew is okay.

I would like to make a list of living musicians and/or celebrities with Cancer and try and celebrate them now, while they are still alive. Peter Tork for example.

I wonder with Lake and Wetton passing, might that push some ability to have King Crimson get on the Rock Hall ballot next Fall? or ELP of course as well (Keith Emerson's loss adding to that as well). it shouldn't take something like this, but it might at least give some kind of consolation.

Rest in Peace John Wetton. I'll sadly never get to see U.K. live either, =\.