Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Fair to Midland News (NOT EXACTLY OFFICIAL)





I came across this yesterday per the dredg fans forum topic about Fair to Midland. And I am friends with Brett on FB, but I must have missed this post a little while ago. But it was just fwd-ed along to a private Fans group on FB for FtM.

The financial issues, while it saddens me to see, I am not entirely surprised by unfortunately. I posted on the group hopefully the band will weather this storm of issues and at least continue to make music in the near future. They could take nods from some other artists of late, rather than breaking up, use things like Bandcamp and the Fan-Funding sites like Indiegogo or Pledgemusic to help still make music, or even tour (see Mercies for example).

The touring is a big deal, as Fair to Midland has come to be known maybe 1st and foremost as a live band, having seen them 11 times I believe in a 5-year period myself.

But their website is down and the fans forum apparently as well. That alone is sad to see, but hopefully the band's future work, still will come sooner rather than later.

From Brett's Facebook Page

"Lately, a lot of people have been asking me if I know anything about the current situation with Fair To Midland. I'm by no means an official source of info, but i'll tell you what I know because I feel like the fans deserve to know what's up.

First off, even before I was no longer in the band, FTM was in quite a bit of debt. This, I'm certain, only got worse as time went on. Second, as far as I know, FTM currently have no label or official management. Third, without getting too much into anyone's personal life, I can say at least a couple members have expressed to me their frustration about lack of communication by certain other members of the band. Finally, the current members of FTM are spread out all over the country at this point. I would imagine that would make getting together for rehearsals/writing prohibitively expensive. (Plane rides, gas, accommodations, etc... you get the picture. Hell, it was hard enough when we were all in the relatively small area of Dallas/Commerce/Sulphur Springs.)

Read into the fact that nobody bothered to renew the band's domain name what you will. (which actually kind of upsets me. there was a lot of FTM history on those forums)

With all that said, like most of you, I sincerely hope that the guys are able to turn things around. Even though I was a member for 10+ years, I was a fan first. I'll be cheering alongside you if a new tour/album/whatever is announced, but i'm not holding my breath."