Friday, June 8, 2012

Kevin Gilbert's band NRG - No Reasons Given (1984)

http://www.kevingilbert.com/



1. Morning Light
2. Watching Me
3. Goodman Badman
4. Wings of Time
5. Mere Image
6. Welcome to Suburbia
7. Staring Into Nothing
8. Frame by Frame
9. When Strangers Part

NRG Available for the first time on CD!

For the first time Kevin Gilbert’s debut album NRG (No Reasons Given) is available on CD. Meticulously re-mastered from the original tapes with all the original cover art. This is a must for all KG fans. Get a glimpse at how it all started.


I honestly have never been crazy about this album, but I've always regarded it as like many artists, so early in their career, the quality can be taken with a grain of salt.

Kevin's voice was a fair amount higher/younger sounding. And the style was almost like a hybrid of 80's synth-driven pop with neoprog of a sort. Although, I'll confess, some of that impression was given to me with the extensive amounts of recordings that I have heard from the early days, some of which are from this, some not.

That being said, it is nice to finally be available. I guess 300 or so copies were available and mostly (if not entirely) sold out last weekend at The Shaming of the True show in Southern California (I should have gone, I know. As I've stated, it was a budget thing. $500, when I already planned to go to Marillion in Chicago in a few weeks, and I skipped The Dear Hunter and Arch/Matheos last month for the same reason).

I guess 1000 or so have been printed, so there are some, but not a ton available. The hardcore Kevin fans will want this. I know it was for a long time available to stream on his website, so many probably know it already, even though never owning it.