Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Coheed and Cambria - "Somebody That I Used to Know" live 4/29/12

Go to about 9:15 into the video.



Despite the quality, I actually really like this cover. It's a different take on the tune really. To me, THIS is how you do a COVER. You take the basic melody or something that stands out about the song, and change it enough to distinguish it from the original. But it still captures what is great about the original at the same time.

Perhaps it doesn't hurt hearing Claudio Sanchez sing the parts instead of how many wannabes on Youtube (including of course that flash-in-the-pan Walk Off the Earth's version, which I think I've said it before but it bares repeating. Maybe consider posting a video of one your own songs, instead of creating some kind of attention-seeking video, that sadly, has become almost more known than the original video and song itself).

It also is interesting this is from their 1st concert with their new lineup (new bassist Zach Cooper, and Josh Eppard back on drums..I could be wrong, but I think this is his 1st show since rejoining the band).