Sunday, December 15, 2013

Marillion - The Carol of the Bells (Single)



7 minutes, 35 seconds (or 6 minutes and 15 seconds depending how you consider the ending) Not exactly like Savatage/Trans Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve Sarajevo 12/24," nor the yet released but awesome arrangement Greg Herriges has put together with this tune (live, as I've heard him play it a few times).

This is more like a Queen thing in some ways, with Marillion's own stamp. The Steve Rothery guitar solo included.

Mysterious video in some ways, including the footage of the band I'm presuming, in costumes, 1 walking while playing a flute. The message "Marillion will return in 2014" has I'm sure most fans curious. A new album? I would love it, but suspect it may be a bit early for them, unless they had some material that didn't make it on to Sounds That Can't Be Made.

However, there's an 2013 interview in 3 or 4 parts linked on other videos from their official account, that I don't recall watching, which may add some answers to the curiosity.

edit: actually I think I did watch it, as it was back in June. O well, it still may answer a question or two I don't remember at this point.