Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Minus the Bear - Infinity Overhead (2012)

7/17/12 12:02PM
"Diamond Lightning" ..not bad, although really, the song's best moment is the outro, which leaves me a little unfulfilled. Perhaps the track that follows will add more.




7/2/12 11:15PM


1. Steel and Blood
2. Lies and Eyes
3. Diamond Lightning
4. Toska
5. Listing
6. Heaven Is A Ghost Town
7. Empty Party Rooms
8. Zeros
9. Lonely Gun
10. Cold Company





Here's another new record from Minus the Bear which is being released on August 28th. I'm not sure if they'll find the same place a band like Russian Circles has found for me, in sort of jumping the shark, and I only check out their new music briefly, but don't expect much.

2010's Omni was a big disappointment for me and many others, after I personally loved Planet of Ice. But, I will admit, seeing them last Fall with The Velvet Teen, it was the 1st show I actually felt they lived up to others rave live reviews. Although, that was a tour where they played all of their 1st record, Highly Refined Pirates. And even though I couldn't claim to have loved that album previously, that show has me wanting to revisit/reassess that and their 2nd record Menos el Oso.

The trailer and song "Lonely Gun" stream shared above (and a streaming link in the track list), are not wow-ing me or anything, but have a moment or 2. I guess they do sound more like Omni though, which concerns me. I do like the saxophone at least.

I suppose if this record ends up like Omni or worse, I probably won't have much optimism for their albums again. I suppose just reading reviews might help. But then again, maybe they'll change my mind about their new music live, like they did with their 1st album last fall.

We'll see.

http://minusthebear.com
http://dangerbirdrecords.com