Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Audrey Niffenegger - Her Fearful Symmetry



I read about this book over the weekend in the Chicago Tribune while I was down there visiting family including my brand-new niece. As a pretty big fan of "The Time Traveler's Wife" reading news about this new novel from the same author got me intrigued.

The endurance of love animates this gothic story set in and around Highgate Cemetery, in London. When Elspeth Noblin dies of cancer, she leaves her estate, including an apartment overlooking the graveyard, to the twin daughters of her twin sister, from whom she has been estranged for twenty years. When Valentina and Julia show up to claim their inheritance, they soon discover that Elspeth is still in residence, in ghostly form. Niffenegger’s writing can be wearyingly overblown, but she has a knack for taking the romantic into the realm of creepiness, and she constructs a taut mystery around the secrets to be found in Elspeth’s diaries and the lengths to which she will go to reunite with her younger lover. It’s no small achievement that the revelations are both organic and completely unexpected.

the story sounds appealing enough, and not TTTW Part 2.

It drops on the shelf today I guess, September 29th. I may have to stop in at the library or 1 of the bookstores this evening just to get an idea on price and everything, but as little recreational reading as I do, this may have to be one I make time for in the near future.

Ironic as I am also reading another Bryan K Vaughn novel series "Ex Machina" but that's a bit different I suppose. I also checked out "Snow Crash" again from the library for my trip, but with a portable DVD player and a bunch cheap and free dvds from the library, I never got around to it nor the other Daniel Clowes graphic novel "David Boring." But hopefully I'll find the time in the coming weeks to try and read them along with this new novel "Her Fearful Symmetry."

Also on the leak front, a couple of the large sum of October releases leaked over the past few days.

Transatlantic and Editors. Hopefully comments will come soon.

And "True Blood" I am close to being done with Season 1. It without question is the best Vampire show in awhile, respect to Moonlight. An entry should be coming just on it alone. I'm sucked-in :p and can't get enough of it right now.

also the local 9 baseball club, the Twins, are somehow still in the hunt for the post-season. Playing a double-header today to makeup for a rainout last evening in Detroit. Both teams don't really do a lot for me as for post-season hopes, but with the pressure off (with or without Justin Morneau), it might be nice to have them play in the playoffs without expecting anything.

No comments :