Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Guante & Big Cats - You Better Weaponize (2012)

I finally got around to checking out this record after hearing a few different tracks on Radio K over the last few weeks. There was enough about it, I needed to check it out. And I may be getting a head of myself a little bit with this, but I am being reminded of when I discovered Immortal Technique and Revolutionary Volume 2 back in 2008.

Guante aka "El Guante" I have known about, for nearly the same amount of time as I have Immortal Technique. Except for the fact, I never remembered to pursue his music. But I can't forget, I want to say after talking to someone about Immortal Technique back on OKCupid who told me I might like El Guante. But she also said how El Guante thought IT wasn't very good or something. He had no flow?

Anyway, but finally hearing him on this, I think one big reason I do enjoy him, is he does remind me of Immortal Technique in some ways. Mainly in his articulate sense of preaching and posturing. I find his words and points, at least realistic and well informed. I suppose where he differs, are for one, his use of things about Minnesota. Which I suppose I have a bias since I am from there as well.

Also he doesn't seem as negative or as much about being pissed off, but concerned in a more down to earth manner.

I guess I'll give this more time, but just immediately, I can say I enjoyed nearly every track. The music (or "beats" as they say..frankly, I think the term "beats" should be done away with, and just use "rhythms" or "tones with rhythms" or something else), along with the pop-culture references, including a ton involving Minnesota.

The lines about every kid in the crowd looks like Jeremy Messermith and getting your song on The Current by the time your 30 had me rolling on the floor laughing out loud, haha.

This album seems to be poking fun, or exposing all the bad stereotypes about Generation Y and the Internet disease. And honestly, the way he's doing it, more people should hear it and it might make the whole Web and online-music culture improve.

He has a lot of guests on here, as well as many other records I have yet to hear. Maybe his other work is better? I don't know. But I hopefully will get around to checking it out along with spending a fair amount more time with this.

The people kissing the ass of P.O.S. and Brother Ali should give this a shot. Even the likes of Sims and Sage Francis, I find Guante (or El Guante) more my speed. It's great to discover an artist from my hometown doing more arty Hip-Hop. I'm not surprised by it, as Guante is a champion slam poet, which I'd be surprised many if any of the Doomtree artists can also claim.



YOU BETTER WEAPONIZE cover art
1 To Young Leaders 3:22
2 Until There's Nothing Left (feat. Toki Wright & Crescent Moon) 3:34
3 Lightning (feat. Chastity Brown) 4:38
4 Underground Sex Party (feat. Kristoff Krane) 3:46
5 Other (feat. Chastity Brown, See More Perspective, Chantz Erolin) 3:55
6 Fireworks 3:51
7 Everything Burns 4:40
8 Straight Outta Genosha 3:34
9 Break (feat. Kristoff Krane) 4:20
10 A Leap of Faith Into a Bottomless Pit 3:22
11 The Invisible Backpacker of Privilege (feat. Chantz Erolin, Truth Be Told) 3:44
12 A Pragmatist's Guide to Revolution 4:12
13 Asterisk 2:06