Saturday, November 3, 2012

FALSE GOSSIP: Jimmy Fallon + The Monkees? (Michael Nesmith FB post)

11/3/12 4:57PM

edit:
Nez more or less confirmed on Facebook a bit ago, this and the thing with Kevin Spacey WERE A JOKE. He was just being Mike, but me being the relatively new Monkees/Nesmith fan, I was naive to this fact.

So, just in case those who stumble upon this posting are scratching their heads about this notion, it is a FALSE ALARM, etc.

My apologies, but I suppose better safe than sorry, right.

9/23/12 10:46PM
Mike Nesmith's most recent post on Facebook (which in all likelihood will get deleted soon as pretty much all of his posts are on Facebook)

As I get relatively older the corporeal sense data set goes more and more non-linear. I’ve been watching Emmy Blotnick all morning and laughing hard, but I know somewhere deep down I am not laughing at the right thing.

There is a kind of horror in finding oneself inapt, and yet, there is a certain joy to it – coming loose from the moorings, as it were.

Emmy does this stand-up that is very funny to me – “I made you a sandwich” and I watched it two or three times just this morning – and something inside me wants to tell Emmy why I think it’s so funny.

But I know better than to do that, so I am keeping my mouth shut and laughing with the rest of the people that think she is funny.

The reason I was watching her is because she is a blogger for Jimmy Fallon.

And I have been talking to Mick and Pete about how we are going to do Daydream Believer without David. We have some ideas – and clearly we have to do it – it’s one of the Monkees best songs – but how?

Stay with me here.

Mick and I are heavy into rehearsals and hanging out – and I have started privately nourishing this idea that – in New York and LA at least – I think Jimmy Fallon should come do Daydream Believer with us.

First, he is a good singer and musician. And second, he seems pretty easy going. And finally, and perhaps most importantly, he is the only person I think that could actually do the Davy dance with the proper gravitas and respect it deserves.

(Lord knows Axel Rose did his best – and it may be that Axel has even won the name wars for the dance – but to me it is, and always will be, the Davy dance and not the Axel Rose dance.)

In any case -- I think Fallon could do it great, sing the song great, and I am thinking seriously about inviting him to come and do it with us – just a couple of nights. I am giving it a lot of careful thought.

Careful, non-linear-wacked-out, goofy thought.

So far I haven’t got this past Mick and Pete – I actually haven’t even asked them – but I am drifting that way because of Emmy Blotnick who has now (unwittingly)re-enforced the notion that Fallon could do it great – “birds of a feather” is more than enough validation for me. That’s the best I can explain it: Blotnick sandwich = Jimmy Fallon sings Daydream Believer and delivers his version of the Davy dance.

So, Mick and Pete and I have the show covered, it will be fun and satisfying to the hardest core Monkees fan –but --

There is this one last thing we absolutely have to work out and get right -- who will sing Daydream Believer?

I’m starting with Jimmy Fallon – and if he won’t do it -- then I’ll just let the non-linear world take over and see where the ball lands next.

It may land in the town we’re coming to.


If this happens, I'm not sure how much I will care, especially given it's only at 3 shows. Micky can and has done the tune live, but maybe AS A SPECIAL TRIBUTE, getting Fallon to do it, or even just have Fallon EMCEE or have The Monkees (with Nez) make an appearance on Fallon's show would be nice.

We'll see, but I hope Fallon gets word about this (I'm going to try both Facebook and Twitter anyway).