Wednesday, April 13, 2011

RX Bandits RIP (1995-2011)



I just saw this announcement over on Traversing and posted this

they were a great, energetic live band, and had some cool moments, namely with the horns. But I honestly can't forget how their fanbase walked out on dredg in St.Paul a couple of years ago.

Now, obviously that has nothing to do with the band, nor the majority of their fans, but seeing the fans who were at that show leave, has forced me to associate that about their fans and them in general.

But it's still unfortunate, and they are a band I have enjoyed. So it's still not anything to be happy about.


story link

A number of you wrote in with the news that progressive ska/rock outfit Rx Bandits have announced their retirement, effective after their forthcoming summer tour. The band, which took its earliest incarnation in 1995, released music through Drive-Thru Records, Mash Down Babylon and Sargent House and had this to say:

We would like to express our love and appreciation for all that you've done for us and how much a part of our growth you have been. We have all mutually decided that this summer will be our last tour. We love each other and love you all and hope to see you at the shows.

The dates in question have not yet been announced. Their last record was Mandala in 2009.


So, it's nothing to be happy about. I suppose if their tour hits town I will try and go. Mandala I actually found a little underwhelming considering what I thought it might be (more progressive). But the lack of Horns actually didn't appeal to me.

But, I suppose it might be worth revisiting their studio work again. I recall getting kind of into them for a short while after seeing them for the 1st time in 2007. Although, I also have sensed they are 1 of those bands, like many jam bands, that have a sound that is good for what it is, but after a little while, it tends to sound a little samey.

Perhaps my feeling about that could change now. Regardless, another name to add to the casualty list :\. I suppose at least I don't have to worry about their fans walking out on dredg or another band now (j/k).