Friday, July 17, 2015

Retro Favorite Albums: 1965

Okay, well I gave it some more thought, and instead of 1980, why not start at the full 50-year mark, so this is the 1st of which may end up being 50 (or possibly less) entries about my favorite albums.

Now with this entry though, it probably will be the 1 exception of a list of albums that I don't really consider favorites for the most part. Only Rubber Soul really, but I didn't think it would be worth posting only 1 album for the 1st year, so I figured why not include some popular and quite influential albums that I at least know somewhat.

But this likely will be the only year/entry like this as from every year after this, I don't think I'll find a lack of albums to include. So, in other words I only have 1 or maybe 2-3 3.5+-star albums on this list, but I have plenty from every year after this.

That all being said, just glancing at these albums, 1965 did at least have a decent race, even tho '65 was still more or less the era of the singles. And 1 of the last years per say, of that.

A blue-tinted black-and-white photograph of Coltrane's face looking to the left, with the logo "A Love Supreme/John Coltrane" written in white bold Arial across the top.
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
rel February 1965

A classic to some, even not among Jazz fans. I need to revisit this one again, as I know when i checked it out like 10 years ago, I was tired that day at work and may not have been able to fully take it in well. But I do remember it being rather slow and methodical. It is only 3 pieces, and may meander, but to many, in a good way. And did certainly influence the "Free Jazz" movement.

BeachBoysTodayCover.jpg
The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys Today!
rel March 8, 1965

This album has Help Me Rhonda notably, and some other fan-favorites I guess. But I'll again admit to not being all that familiar with it.

SummerDaysandSummerNights.album.cover.jpg
The Beach Boys - Summer Days (And Summer Nights!
rel July 5, 1965

This one includes Help Me Rhonda as well, along with California Girls among the hits. Again, unfamiliar, so my comments and overall take is limited.

The magnificent moodies.jpg
The Moody Blues - The Magnificent Moodies
rel July 23, 1965

This is the Moodies debut and I honestly don't know it, but I know from accounts that even with this album, they were more experimental than most groups, which is why some people consider them among the earlier psych or even progressive groups.

The Beatles, standing in a row and wearing blue jackets, with their arms positioned to spell out a word in flag semaphore
The Beatles - Help!
rel August 3, 1965

The title track, "Ticket to Ride" "Yesterday" "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" and the night before come to mind as some of the best tracks on this album. Some people adore this album, I guess I find my love for The Beatles starts and goes further on the record they released just a few months later. But for what this is, it's still a pretty good record and 1 I in some ways prefer over many of their earlier records.

A photograph of Dylan seated in a blue jacket with a person standing behind him holding a camera
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
rel August 30, 1965

Like A Rolling Stone has always been one of my favorite Dylan tracks, which honestly, there aren't that many. And I do appreciate the fact the Highway 61 referred to in the title does refer to the Highway I drive on on occasion in the Eastern St.Paul suburbs.

Out+of+Our+Heads+-UK-.jpg
The Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads
rel September 24, 1965

This is one of the better early Stones albums, and my familiarity are with many of the hits/singles like "Satisfaction," "The Last Time," and "Play With Fire."

BeachBoysParty.album.cover.jpg
The Beach Boys - Party!
rel November 8, 1965

"Barbara Ann" is on this along with a cover of The Beatles "I Should of Known Better." I get the sense this was kind of compilation of sorts, with some new tunes. But it is worth noting, this is the album that preceded Pet Sounds.



The Beatles - Rubber Soul
rel December 3, 1965

Norwegian Wood,  Drive My Car, Nowhere Man, Michelle, If I Needed Someone, In My Life, You Won't See Me are all tracks I've loved for years. Nowhere Man is trippy as hell. While this isn't my favorite Beatles album, it did really show they were experimenting and would pave the way for their near future work which I also love., which if I was around in '65, I would have been a fanatic which each album coming soon after the other, and all the more amazing.

My-Generation--2.jpg
The Who - My Generation
rel December 3, 1965

The Who's debut album, which includes the title track and "The Kids are Alright" notably. Even though many bands also seemed to show their Beatles influence clearly, there was definitely ambition with them and Pete Townshend at points here.