Saturday, May 7, 2011

Steven Wilson - Deform to Form a Star/Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye (2011)



Facebook

"The new solo album website will probably launch in early June now. The music is done, but we're still working on film material and the deluxe edition. It's presented as two 40-45 minute albums in the same package (which begs the question; when is a double album not a double album? When it's 2 single albums issued together!) The album titles are "Deform to Form a Star" and "Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye".

So, this was announced about 10 hours ago. A double album? or 2 separate solo albums ala Devin Townsend in 2009 and this upcoming June.

I don't recall how much I've written about 2008's Insurgentes in here in the past, but I suppose repeating/recalling my feeling about it is worth adding.

I probably listened to it about 5 or 6 times. It wasn't bad, but my biggest issue with it was how much it lacked vast differences from Porcupine Tree and even Blackfield. And along with that, it was a bit hit and miss. Some memorable songs or sections I recall, and then some that just fit its "mood."

Many on the forums gushed over it and claimed it to be unlike anything he had ever done. Sorry, but I didn't hear that.

That being said, I did check out the movie last year and enjoyed some of it, enough to desire to revisit the record again. I haven't remembered to sadly though. But given these new records are coming soon (September supposedly), giving some re-evaluation or at least revisiting to the record and film again might be worth doing.

But I definitely am not expecting these to be vastly different than his other work. If they somehow happen to be, and/or depending on the quality, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I guess I'd love them to just contain as many well-written songs/compositions more so than being "progressive" or original. But to say I have huge hopes for these would be false. Afterall, Insurgentes I don't believe even ended up in my top 50 in 2008.