Monday, June 20, 2011

Arch/Matheos - Sympathetic Resonance (2011) (1.0)

6/20/11 10:48PM



edit okay, Jim does clarify the differences a bit there. Huh. Now, I'm a tad less optimistic about it, only in that given how much control John had. I dunno. The quotes from John Arch in the story as well.

I guess it's all words, and until hearing it, the differences might not mean any thing (or even be noticed/a factor on how good it is).

http://www.metalblade.com/news/06-20-11-04.html

Arch /Matheos: Band sets "Sympathetic Resonance" as the title of upcoming debut full-length album Fates Warning guitarist JIM MATHEOS and original vocalist JOHN ARCH team up for new band!

As previously announced, Jim Matheos (current member of the progressive rock powerhouse Fates Warning and OSI) and John Arch (former vocalist of Fates Warning) have teamed up to form the new progressive rock band, ARCH/ MATHEOS. The band -accompanied by Joey Vera on bass, Bobby Jarzombek on drums, and Frank Aresti on additional lead guitar- began tracking the drums on January 12 and continued to record through mid February with Jim Matheos producing. ARCH/ MATHEOS is pleased to announce Sympathetic Resonance as the title of the debut album, which will be released September 13, 2011 in North America.

Jim Matheos offered his insight on the writing and recording process of Sympathetic Resonance; "I think John and I work really well together. There's a lot of mutual respect and trust in what we do.
But, we're also both very critical of ourselves, and each other. This can make for a long and, sometimes, tedious process. But ultimately it's one I enjoy because I think it brings out the best in both of us." John Arch added; "When I first heard some of the arrangements Jim had written and recorded, it took quite some time before I could wrap my mind around the odd time signatures and guitar work going on here.
There are some long compositions, so putting anxiety and apprehension on the back burner it was time to dissect these numbers into digestible bits. After the lengthy process of lyrics and melodies, listening to the songs now, I can't imagine them any other way." In terms of the lyrical content on Sympathetic Resonance, John Arch notes that "the lyrics this time around are more in line with A Twist of Fate and not of the mystical nature of some past albums."

More details will be released over the coming months so be sure to stay tuned to MetalBlade.com. ARCH/ MATHEOS pages on Facebook and Twitter coming soon!

Lineup:
John Arch – vocals (Fates Warning)
Jim Matheos – guitars (Fates Warning, OSI) Joey Vera – bass (Armored Saint, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Seven Witches) Bobby Jarzombek – drums (Halford, Fates Warning, Sebastian Bach, Riot) Frank Aresti - additional lead guitar (Fates Warning)


Damn, what a great thing to read about on my 35th birthday. I like many things about this. It's still my #1 anticipated record. The title and quotes sounds like it may be an extension of AToF which I can't lie, is more or less exactly all I'd ever hope for.

Damn, September 13th, the parents 40th anniversary, new Arch/Matheos, Dream Theater, St.Vincent and possibly more.


5/10/11 7:51PM

Brian Slagel of Metal Blade posted this on twitter over the weekend:

Great to see John Arch and Jim Mateos last night. Album is AMAZING!!! They will be doing tons of press as well. Out in Sept. 1:25 PM May 7th via web


I also noticed they aren't clear on the NAME of the band yet. "Arch/Matheos" or "A/M" perhaps.

Good news to read about my most anticipated record of 2011.


1/19/11 7:27PM


Previous post on 1/12/11



Arch / Matheos currently tracking in the studio

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. – January 19, 2011 – Jim Matheos (current member of the progressive rock powerhouse Fates Warning and OSI) and John Arch (former vocalist of Fates Warning) are currently working together on a new full-length album that will be released in late spring/early summer via Metal Blade Records. The band, called ARCH / MATHEOS, began tracking the drums on January 12 and will continue to record through mid February with both John Arch and Jim Matheos producing the album.
ARCH / MATHEOS features an all-star lineup including the talents of Joey Vera on bass (Armored Saint, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Seven Witches), Bobby Jarzombek on drums (Halford, Fates Warning, Sebastian Bach, Riot), and Frank Aresti on additional lead guitar (Fates Warning). More details will be released over the coming months so be sure to stay tuned to FatesWarning.com & MetalBlade.com

So the other post from last week was a partial false-start. Arch/Matheos is the moniker; which actually makes a lot of sense, given Jim co-wrote "Relentless" on John's EP.

Glad to see more info as I noticed the post Joey Vera made on facebook last week was pulled a few days later. It got me worried. I'm frankly, ecstatic anticipating hearing this, as when I read the bit from Joey Vera last week about learning new John Arch tunes, that album immediately became my most anticipated record for 2011, or for that matter, in a number of years.

The only question that this raises is with all of the Fates Warning guys involved save for Ray Alder (obviously), I wonder if the next FW record is not gonna happen. Jim has OSI this year as well, and Ray is kind of busy with Redemption I think.

As a Fates Warning fan, I'm a little concerned given the group has taken long backseats to these other projects. I mean Bobby and even Joey for that matter (and Frank too) came/came back to playing with Jim from what I read was for Fates itself.

But at the same time, maybe this is what they're doing. I adore John and Jim's writing especially (save for the recent OSI, lol). I guess if the next Ray Alder-involvement with these guys (save for John, or who knows, maybe John could also comeback in some way?) is pushed back another year or 2, I'm still happy; since for many years of course the belief was John may never do anything else after that landmark EP from 2003.