Sunday, March 3, 2019

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - South of Reality (2018-2019)

So the other day some discussion about early year favorite albums for the year on the dreamtheaterforums, this album was recommended to me.

It was released just a few weeks ago on February 22, 2019.

I remember hearing about this band a few years ago prior to even their 1st EP came out. And South of Reality is their 2nd proper full length album.

I can't claim to have heard any of their actual music before checking this out the other day, but my thoughts previously was assuming it would resemble much of Les Claypool's other work; Primus and the bass-driven comedic/goofy/quirky very Zappa-inspired, especially the vocals.

And Sean Lennon? well I like some of Julian's work.

Anyway, this album and I am presuming some of their previous/debut record is not exactly like that.

Some of it is there, but more I would compare to a few groups.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard and even Pepe Deluxe.

Sort of Channeling the classic Psych-Rock style/period of the late 60's and 70's, but still having modern production.

Plus the latter Psychadelic-Beatles.

Some of it is proggy (the analog synths remind me of Yes or many other groups).

It's more melodic, having enough guitar and vocal use, while still being creative. Some of it is almost space-rock in a way, maybe in a Gong-sort of way.

I'm going to have to spend some more time with this of course, but I will have to check out Monolith of Phobos, TCLD debut record from 2016.


Claypool Lennon Delirium South of Reality Artwork.jpeg

1. Little Fishes 6:06
2. Blood and Rockets: Movement I/Saga of Jack Parsons/Movement II/Too the Moon 6:29
3. South of Reality 3:27
4. Boriska 5:25
5. Easily Charmed By Fools 5:10
6. Amethyst Realm 7:47
7. Toady Man's Hour 3:12
8. Cricket Chronicles Revisited: Pt. 1, Ask Your Doctor/Pt. 2, Psyde Effects 6:23
9. Like Fleas 3:31