Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Subterranean Masquerade: Announce New Lineup

Facebook Post

Subterranean Masquerade announce new line up:

Subterranean masquerade are pleased and excited to announce Kjetil Nordhus (Green Carnation, Tristania) as the band's new singer. Kjetil is joining Paul Kuhr of Novembers Doom and These Are They, who have been with the band since the first album.

"This is a great honor for us and a massive step forward for the band" says the band mastermind and song writer Tomer Pink. "I've been a fan of Kjetil work since the early Green Carnation albums, this is a dream come true!".

"I have known about Subterranean Masquerade for years, since Green Carnation's time together with them on The End Records. They deserve a lot of respect for their releases until now, and when the opportunity came along to participate on their next album, it was certainly something that triggered me. I am very happy for this new musical challenge and I am eager to share the music with old and new fans of Subterranean Masquerade.
I have met Paul a few times on Green Carnation tours and festival, and I have been a fan of November's Doom and his vocal style for years. To be a co-singer together with Paul is also something that makes this very exciting for me." (Kjetil Nordhus)

Kjetil is joining an impressive line up including drummer
Matan Shmuely (Orphaned Land), Keyboardist Shai Yallin (Solstice Coil), guitarists Tomer Pink and Or Shalev and Bassist Golan Farhi. "This is the first time we function like a band and not just a project, everyone brings his own signature and influences and together we've created something I think is very special"

Watch out for news regarding the new album, very soon!
www.submasq.net


photo by Ami Bornstein



Not a ton to add other than the fact I do enjoy some of Green Carnation's music (like most, I find Light of Day, Day of Darkness more or less a flawless record, mainly for what it is, and the approach the band took), and to hear the drummer of Orphaned Land involved too adds something potentially.

The comeback LP for these guys I knew wasn't far away, but with this news, it adds some more intrigue certainly.

I also wonder a little bit about the potential for them to play live, tour, etc and the longer term future as this reads like the members are looking to invest more time into SM than before. Perhaps seeing them in concert in the next few years may be a possibility? I suppose look at Cynic for one, even though Cynic are American and SM are kind of spread out. Certainly November's Doom have toured, so maybe Paul Kuhr would like to try and do the same with this now regularly working? band?