Saturday, November 30, 2019

A-Z: Magellan (Magna Carta Band)

Magellan were a band who was praised but never got the same level of cult following like contemporaries Shadow Gallery and Enchant did in the mid-late 90's.

But they were a Magna Carta band, making the sort of post-Rush or even post-Dream Theater influenced 90's/heavy "neo prog" rock. Although I think I associated them most with Jethro Tull.

They used trombone among some other non-traditional instruments.

Test of Wills was the album that I bought from them, however a few years later, I came to appreciate it more than I did initially.

I probably would go for listening to other records of theirs (both for the 1st time and again, as I may have 1 or 2 others). The earlier albums probably more so.

I remember they were given a feature in Sea of Tranquility's magazine and that kind of made me re-asses my feeling about them and especially just that album Test of Wills.

Rest in Peace both Trent and Wayne Gardner.