Wednesday, November 7, 2018

KingBathmat - Overcoming the Monster (2013)

So this name came across my radar just the other day from Pete Pardo and his YouTube Channel Sea of Tranquility when I asked a question in his new Q and A segment about College/Alternative/Indie prog.

I had never heard this band before KingBathmat who I guess are from the UK.

This was 1 of 2 records I wishlisted on rateyourmusic.

And among the stuff I've been taking-in this week, Ninet and this have got to be among the best.

There's like 3 tracks on here that have wonderful moments. The heavy, punchy riffing really works at times. Very catchy and energetic. It reminds me a bit of 2000's Porcupine Tree or even Opeth a bit.

The other thing present on here is some of those fat synths which I might think make it cheesy, but they don't overstay their welcome.

I almost would describe their sound here as being like if Porcupine Tree included some 70's or even 80's Neoprog sprinkles, but with a more middle of the road vocalist that fits well with this music (and the harmonies work at times),

Like Ninet and Barock Project, KingBathmat have a bunch of records I've yet to hear, but certainly will be looking to soon.




1. Sentinel 08:46
2. Parasomnia 09:36
3. Overcoming The Monster 07:14
4. Superfluous 09:03
5. Reality Mining 04:40
6. Kubrick Moon 11:37