Monday, April 4, 2016

Mutemath @ First Avenue 4/3/16

Awesome Show!

Set list:
Stratosphere
Chaos
Prytania
Clipping
Light Up
All I See
Noticed
Vitals
Joy Rides
Composed
Used To
Blood Pressure
Control
You Are Mine
Safe If We Don't Look Down
Armistice
Best of Intentions
Bulletproof
Spotlight

*encore*

Remain
Monument
Reset
Typical

These guys never fail to keep my attention. This being the 7th time I've seen them live, and since February of 2006 at The Ascot Room.

Paul Meany even mentioned to the crowd about the show that was in May of 2006 at The Fine Line that from memory, had Under the Influence of Giants open (who are a band I and my fiancee really miss). I guess people were asked to come per myspace then and their Self-Titled album had just come out, which I remember that album coming out early 2006.

But I'm not sure how much in detail I can say that differs from especially the last 2 First Avenue headlining shows. And actually all previous 6 times I saw them live. They just continue to have this infectious energy and atmosphere (Take Control of the *Atmosphere*) that is so consistent.

Darren King always stands out. I could probably just watch him play drums all night and I'd be satisfied. He even went down in front of the crowd with 4 electronic hand-drums, having members of the crowd in front each hold them up simultaneously to jam on.

Paul Meany did his usual playing to the crowd, crowd surfing on a big lit-up black mattress, playing a keytar and dancing/jumping around. Also at 1 point he handed a piece in his keyboard setup to the crowd to jam on (not the keytar, but what seemed more like a mobile theremin)

The set list included a lot of the new record Vitals, which I think the songs overall did work, possibly better live than on the album. For one, "Monument" was MAGICAL. That actually may have been my favorite part of the whole night. The mystical moments about midway through and emotion seemed so genuine and pure from Paul and the whole band on it. I really think I grew a new appreciation for that tune and definitely hope they play it live in the future.

Plus the 2 instrumentals I love so much "Bulletproof" and the title track were included.

I guess my only disappointment was not hearing "Cavalries" and maybe 1 or 2 other Odd Soul tracks, but I didn't find it hurt the set list (especially how much of the S/T and even Reset stuff they included)

I suppose what may have differed with this show compared to some others was the use of visuals and lights. Very spacey and fitting for electronic-driven music at times.

Mutemath continue to amaze and keep people engaged live. They really are one of the best live bands in the last 15 or 20 years. And the 7 shows I've now seen from them are 7 of the best concerts I've ever seen. I can't wait to see them again.

Also a note about Paper Route who opened. I think they impressed more than I expected, although it seems clear their drummer is the standout member of the band. And they did do "Are We All Forgotten" from the EP and 1st album which I still enjoy. The last song they played, which may have been newer, I found also worked well.