Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Neil Peart Retiring from drumming

Link
Link 2
Link 3
http://neilpeartnews.andrewolson.com/2015/12/neil-peart-talks-about-retirement-in.html

 In a new interview with Drumhead Magazine (via Jambase),  “… Lately Olivia has been introducing me to new friends at school as ‘My dad– He’s a retired drummer.’ True to say–funny to hear. And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to… take yourself out of the game. I would rather set it aside then face the predicament described in our song ‘Losing It’ (‘Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it’).”

Peart behind a large drum set

I'm not sure how detailed I want to get with this, and actually how much I ultimately believe he is going completely Cold Turkey for the rest of his life ala Bill Bruford.

He may and Rush may finally be done in every capacity, but then again he may eventually want to do something with music and even Rush again, even if it's just a 1-off or in the studio at least. And that may be 5 or more years from now.

And Rush or at least Geddy and Alex I suspect will still do something musically, even just from what they said during this recent QandA they did with of all people, Michael Moore.



But obviously they will be done at some point as age and time does catch up with them. I actually kind of worried about this back when I 1st became a fan in the early 90's. So in a way, I've been anticipating the end of Rush for like 25 years.

And when the tragedies struck Neil in the late 90's, I kind of figured they were likely done for good, but what happened? they came back and made 3 albums and went on like a dozen tours.

So, only time will really tell.

Some talk/hope is if Geddy and Alex go out and play live, they'll ask some other friends to join them, perhaps Mike Portnoy would be one of them? Although I kind of wonder if the Foo Fighters guys would be involved as well (or instead) given how much they talk about them. Taylor Hawkins I guess could also be someone who'd play drums with them.

But if/when it could happen, it certainly would not be Rush if anyone went out with them live on a tour or 1-off. But they would likely play some Rush tunes at least.