Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hotel of the Laughing Tree - Terror and Everything After (2011)

10/13/10 11:06PM

facebook link

Drop date for this album is February 1st, 2011. Here's the cover art.



Brookvale Records posting

"Barnaby Bisons Blind" and "Bad Canterbury" can both be streamed here, and both are awesome.

8/27/10 6:52PM

Terror And Everything After (Recording Doc) from Hotel Of The Laughing Tree on Vimeo.


here's a documentary on this album.

8/6/10 10:49PM

Terror and Everything After from Hotel Of The Laughing Tree on Vimeo.


So I just checked out this video they posted on twitter of the title cut (live) from their upcoming debut lp, and now must admit I'm a little more intrigued by this record.

now after hearing the title cut from Terror and Everything After, I may be right about them, probably more than I would have expected. Hopefully if it comes out soon enough, that will be more clear. But in the mean time, I can't help but be a little more excited to hear it.

HotLT I 1st checked out last year, with their debut ep Old Dominion



here's what I posted on rym (and maybe in this blog, I forget)

as much as this band seem HIGHLY influenced by some specific groups, namely The Dear Hunter and Margot and the Nuclear So and So's.

This is

a) a DEBUT ep

b) a collection of very well-written, hooky, layered songs.

I'm just guessing here, but I think Hotel of the Laughing Tree, if they play their cards right, won't fall into the trap of clone-bandhood. Certainly, there are many cases of bands who either have potential and never go far with it, or seem to limited to borrowing from other, better artists sound. However, most of the time, they don't develop as songwriters. There's enough here on this EP that may lead me to believe that. Not a bad track. "Lowlands 1887" is epic. "Arts 'N Ecomonic" is catchy.