Friday, August 31, 2018

REACT TO: The PROG Report - Top 5 NON-PROG Artists (ft. Mike Portnoy)

So here's yet another REACT TO entry to a podcast/youtube video, this time it's from The Prog Report and includes host Roie Avin, Mike Portnoy and Kyle Fagala who moderates Mike Portnoy's Forum Facebook Group .

And this is definitely related (although not identical) to the lists, and I suppose my REACT TO to 2 other previous entries:

Notes Reviews Modern and Alternative Prog
Radical Research's GINNCORE

So in going through their picks, the large chunk of them I know well (Kevin Gilbert of course is the 1 I am happiest to hear about since he's my favorite).  And many I know for the most part how I stand about (The Flaming Lips and obviously Radiohead).

But the ones I don't know or know well, that I mean to now checkout:

The Grays - Ro Sham Bo
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
Bill Hubauer - We Came From Space
Once and Future Band - Once and Future Band
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Tears for Fears - Raoul and the Kings of Spain, Everybody Loves a Happy Ending (which I'm surprised Roie didn't mention how they have a new album coming out soon).

The Grays I'm sort of Guilty-of per my love of Jellyfish, and I 1st and foremost think of  the video Beavis and Butthead tore to shreds of them (they also had a Jellyfish video on their show, which I don't think they loved either, but did not hate-on as much). But I also recall checking samples of The Grays and Imperial Drag and being underwhelmed. Imperial Drag especially, on more than 1 occasion.

However, at least that 1st sampling was many years ago. In fact it may have been in 1 of those Red Dot Net listening stations at Cheapo in the early 2000's. So it's been awhile. I do enjoy some of Jason Falkner's solo work, although not to the point of addiction.

The lists make a lot of sense. Even Wilco of late I have started to wonder if I would like reading comments about them. My wife actually even likes some of their music. And at the Michael Nesmith show back in January, Circe Link actually mentioned them to myself and John while waiting in line. How Wilco in some ways are a descendant to Nez's solo stuff (that is, despite my wife and I'm  sure many fans, would call Mike's solo work "progressive country rock" which i guess maybe Wilco could be referred to as as well).

I could nitpick a bit though, probably not as much as I could. But for one, Roie's comments about Mutemath, while somewhat accurate, didn't really explain the story. Darren King was on and contributed to the writing as far as I recall, to ALL OF THEIR ALBUMS. And their latest album, Play Dead, while his and Roy Cardenas last, is NOT totally electronic the way Vitals was.

Also he didn't mention Odd Soul which again, wasn't so electronic. Saying their debut is their best I'm fine with. Also he probably never saw it, but Darren King in an interview in some magazine, around the time of Armistice I think it was, mentioned Dream Theater. Now it would help to find the article and quote, etc. But I remember that distinctly and felt they obviously have some prog in them at least Darren knowing DT and likely Portnoy.

Glad they played some from St.Vincent's debut album Marry Me. My feeling about her hasn't changed sadly, as I enjoy that debut record, but the records since she has lost me more and more (and also became a Hipster darling more and more, which doesn't help if that means anything). The noise kills her music for me. And she doesn't sound all that much like Annie Haslam singing for King Crimson anymore.

I like that Mike brought up I Mother Earth, and I don't recall if I actually have heard their new songs (since 2015). Rateyourmusic shows 3 new songs there anyway, which I definitely need to hear. But I will post below my own 5 picks (and some Honorable Mentions). And The Tea Party are an obvious one to include, but for some reason don't always get mentioned when seeing people talk about Big Wreck and in this case, I Mother Earth. Those were the Big 3 90's Canadian bands who while not overtly progressive rock, were progressive certainly.

Almost like the Texas 3 of King's X, Galactic Cowboys and Atomic Opera.

The Tea Party still need more love among progressive rock fans. Their last album The Ocean at the End, from 2014 is exceptional and yet it seems to have flown far too much under the radar other than among fans in Canada and in Australia where I think some of the band have residence.

from The Prog Report's Podcast Page




Mike Portnoy
Kevin Gilbert
The Grays - Ro Sham Bo
Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning (1999 album)
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robot, At War with the Mystics ("Pompei am Gotterdammerung".."What is the Light....")
Biffy Clyro - Puzzle, Opposites

Kyle
David Bowie
St.Vincent
Radiohead
Muse - Absolution, Black Holes and Revelation, Origin of Symmetry
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Sky Blue Sky.. "Art of Almost" track

Roie
Mutemath
Fair to Midland
Tears for Fears (Seeds of Love, Elemental, Raoul and the Kings of Spain, Everybody Loves a Happy Ending)
Big Wreck
Umphrey's McGee - Mantis, Similar Skin ("Bridgeless") It's Not Us ("Remind Me")


Mike Portnoy's Honorable Mentions/Mentions
Jellyfish (+ Imperial Drag, and Beck.."Watching the Rain" a b-side from Jellyfish)
Weezer - Blue, Pinkerton
Ben Folds Five/Ben Folds
Eleven
Oceansize
Big Elf - Cheat the Gallows
Endochine
I Mother Earth
Karmic Juggernaut . reminds Mike of Umphrey's McGee
Bill Hubauer - We Came From Space
Once and Future Band
The Lemon Twigs
Trigger Finger
Mr.Bungle

Roie's Honorable Mentions/Mentions
The Struts (not proggy)
The Dear Hunter
My Chemical Romance - Welcome to the Black Parade
Extreme - III Sides to Every Story
Silverchair - Young Modern
Frank Zappa
Soundgarden - Superunknown

Kyle's Honorable Mentions/Mentions
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
The Who - Quadrophenia
Tool - Lateralus
Green Day - American Idiot ("Homecoming," "Jesus of Suburbia")
Alter Bridge - Fortress ("Cry of Achilles"
Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage
Matthew Sweet/Superdrag/The Posies (XTC-style)
The Polyphonic Spree
Sufjan Stevens
Them Crooked Vultures



--------------------------------------------------------

My Top 5 (if I were participating).

I am going to intentionally not pick anything that was picked because I could easily just go
Kevin Gilbert, Jellyfish, and some others that they named (Fair to Midland and The Dear Hunter if they actually would qualify).

But just to think of 5 names not brought up..and of course many honorable mentions

1. Jeff Buckley
2. Ours
3. Apes and Androids/Call Florence Pow
4. Pepe Deluxe
5. Cloud Cult

Fjokra
Foals
Kimbra
Janelle Monae
The Tea Party
Imogen Heap
Saigon Kick
Menomena/Ramona Falls
Neverending White Lights
Everything Everything
sElf
House of Fools
Small Leaks Sink Ships
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
Wolf Parade - At Mt, Zoomer
The Velvet Teen - Elysium
The Spent Poets - The Spent Poets
The Dissociatives - The Dissociatives

Most if not all of these artists don't consider them self "Prog" or "progressive rock" even really for the most part, but every one of them is (or the albums I included) progressive or artsy in a lot of ways certainly.

I mean sure there are the long list of progressive college rock (or "modern heavy art rock") bands in those other 2 entries I included that were not mentioned on this podcast. But in just coming up with a list of bands I enjoy that while I consider them progressive, the strongest base of their sound and themselves and most of their fans do not label them as "prog." But I would argue they are progressive, and maybe more importantly, they can and have appealed to fans of Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Dream Theater.

Now just thinking about this Podcast and depending on Roie's taste (which I am kind of skeptical about), he should now do an Experimental/Art Metal episode. Aka Metal bands/albums for prog metal fans, that are not traditional progressive metal.

Aka. an Extreme Metal episode. So no Dream Theater or Fates Warning or Rush or Queensryche (or Savatage actually). And no HAKEN of course, and no Symphony X really either.

I'm talking about stuff like Cynic, maudlin of the Well, unexpect, SikTh etc...There's a lot of it out there, and progressive rock/progressive metal fans do like it, but also many either don't know it (or know they would like it), or often DISMISS it like Kyle mentioned with Muse and Radiohead (or Wilco).

Sort of more Metal like Opeth, but not Opeth obviously, in a vague sense. Metal for the prog fans who enjoy Opeth, but who don't know other names that well.

I'm sure stuff like Meshuggah and Periphery would show up, which is fine, but like anything, there are artists in genres/subgenres you love, who often don't do a lot for you as an exception.