So this somewhat long awaited debut album from Southern California-based musicians Chris and Nick Woods finally was released last week. And I ordered my copy from CDBaby linked below and finally got it in the mail yesterday.
Of course Casey Crescenzo was pretty extensively involved with this along with a number of other musicians. The song "Terra Firma" came out last year and Casey does sing vocals on it along with some other things. And I won't lie, that track is very strong and still remains right now my favorite.
But I can say there is a lot of great stuff on here beyond it. With the extensive amounts of guest vocalists, it does remind me of a Neverending White Lights album (or the last couple of Battles albums? Ayreon? among some others). And the songs do vary, yet Casey and The Dear Hunter's influence/presence seems pretty apparent at points.
I guess musically, beyond TDH, I hear bands like Bend Sinister or The Reign of Kindo or even Timmy Sean, namely with the piano and synth-driven sections and drum work.
I do anticipate giving this album a good amount of time in the coming days/weeks, but at least I can say I'm already enjoying it and impressed with its flow, production (Casey has a knack for this), and consistency. And because of that it does add some intrigue for what they may do in the future.
1. Introduction 0:43
2. Terra Firma (feat. Casey Crescenzo) 3:25
3. The Beginning (feat. Tobias Forrest) 4:04
4. One Foot Forward (feat. Frankie Pedano) 4:03
5. My Enemy (feat. Morgan Jones) 4:08
6. Interlude I 4:17
7. Hunger for Power (feat. Elliot Yamin) 4:01
8. Para Bellum (feat. Ciara Budds) 3:39
9. War (feat. Jodie Schell Gilbert) 3:56
10. Destruction (feat. Thomas Erak) 2:55
11. Interlude II 2:08
12. Hell's Garden (feat. The Zmed Brothers) 2:51
13. Terra Nova (feat. Morgan Jones) 4:09