Sunday, February 1, 2015

Nicholas Krgovich - On Sunset (2013-2014)

I kind of dove blindly into this album within the last 24 hours, but I'm enjoying a lot about this. The track below "Along the PCH on Oscar Night" I heard on Radio K yesterday while at work and it forced me to write it down and look more into this guy's music.

I suppose part of why I found this appealing is some of the vibe and song structures remind me of stuff like Apes and Androids, Emanuel and the Fear, or maybe closer to say NewVillager and some others (Antony and the Johnsons, TV on the Radio) with a lot of orchestral layering with pop melodies, lush vocal harmonies.

While the jury is still probably ultimately out for this guy and his music, I can at least say there seems to be a lot of thought put into this album and his music. It seems more about the Art rather than the entertainment approach. A lot of smooth, slick sounding basslines and rhythms.

edit: wow, the outro to "At Pershing Sq." is very moody and cool!



ON SUNSET cover art

1. On Sunset 00:17
2. The Backlot 03:58
3. Along the PCH on Oscar Night 04:24
4. Cosmic Vision 04:44
5. Let's Take the Car Out 04:16
6. City of Night 03:23
7. Rock's Dream 04:11
8. You're Through 04:41
9. The Mansion 03:44
10. At Pershing Sq. 04:41
11. Moon's Soft Glow 05:08