Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Small Leaks Sink Ships - Face Yourself and Remove Your Sandals (2014-2015)

3/11/15 2:04PM

New video review. I would like to go more in-depth with this, and I very well may, or at least may in here.

I guess it's of course a time thing, but i at least will try and transcribe the details and quotes from my notes into here just to offer up at least a bit more semblance of a review and specifics.

Love-this-record. We'll see if all the great stuff to look forward to from now until Halloween can measure-up, but no matter, this record is one that I can foresee standing the test of time, as it seems to be that good. But of course, truly, only time will tell us.



2/21/15 5:43PM

They finally put it up for sale on their bandcamp today! And the EMBED is just below this of course. It's coming out on CD and digital formats; although don't be surprised if a Vinyl pressing happens at some point.

edit: Twitter post mentions an upcoming Kickstarter for the Vinyl

But, it's been 1 month to the day since I posted this and honestly, this record has become my clear favorite record this season, and I gave in as I keep enjoying it so damn much, I put it up to 5-stars.

A review/Video Review should be coming soon (not only for this, but a few others in fact). But for now, I can say this very much reminds me of one of those records that comes out of nowhere to become an all-time favorite of mine. I am rather in awe and still addicted to it, and very happy it is finally being released.

My failure I suppose is not spending more time with their other releases which I plan to rather soon.




1/21/15 5:40AM
This is just an initial post about this record, I stumbled upon the other day and checked out and was pretty floored by actually. A top album of the Season contender? I might not want to go that far at this point; but I did really enjoy this record, which to be honest, I cannot find much if any concrete info about the release date, etc.., I only found just the obvious blogs and other sites with vague info that has the artwork and /tracklist.

The only specific thing is the single "Yellow Bird" below which is embedded per their bandcamp page, and the trailer for this record posted on YouTube (and Vimeo) back in October.

In the interest of time of course, I will just say, I heard about this band maybe even around the time of their debut LP in 2007, or maybe a year or 2 after. I recall they were from Arizona, and I think where I saw their name was one of the annual Alternative Press "100 Bands You Need to Know" issues. Come to think of it, I think it was either 2009 or 2010.

Anyway, I recall not thinking they were bad, but not exactly a band I heard tons of potential with.

But with this new record of theirs, some 4 or 5 years after my initial impressions, I think I may have been won over a lot more. I love the use of piano throughout this whole record.

Is it kind of low-fi? I suppose, but that adds to its charm in a lot of ways. Is it prog? yeah, I guess, and Post Rock, math rock, psych, dreamy among many other sections. I hear bands like Murder By Death and early Menomena among others. Great atmosphere and nice use of strings at points.

Either in here or in hopefully the upcoming Season preview (or midseason review, which should come in April) I'll include more. But right now, I can already say this is 1 of the 5 best records I've heard thus far in 2014-2015.

edit: I really should update this anyway, just at the point when the details of a release date and things is finally given, I imagine on their bandcamp page, etc...as I can definitely see myself purchasing a hardcopy of this record if/when one becomes available.


http://www.smallleaks.com/
Facebook
https://twitter.com/smallleaks
















01 Power Outage
02 Midnight Jin
03 Yellow Bird
04 Orchis
05 Snowball Fight Attack Formation
06 We All Die
07 Building Blocks
08 The Devil Is In The Desert
09 Iceberg
10 The Mind Is Its Own Place