Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bend Sinister - On My Mind [EP] (2012)

3/6/12 11:42AM
$4.95 via Amazon (don't bother with iTunes, at least I don't :p)

Hopefully after hearing this, more stuff about the "acts as a teaser for more great things to come", will be understood and soon announced, i.e. a full-length.

2/6/12 5:18PM


1 Give It a Rest
2 Got You on My Mind
3 I'm the One Leaving You
4 Please Say
5 The Road Divided

I'm  pretty excited to hear this, even if it is just 5 songs, and I'll fully admit Spring Romance I never loved like all of their other releases. But it's interesting in the article it talks about this EP acting like a *teaser.* And rightfully so, given the band have been touring a lot over the last few years, and in 2009 they won that $50,000 for finishing in 3rd place in British Columbia's "Peak Performance Project" which they presumably were going to use to record their next album. Although I suspect a chunk of that money went towards the making of videos for every song off Stories of Brothers, and Spring Romance from 2010.

But I gotta be honest, as much as I love this band. I am just cautiously only expecting a mild amount of  things after SR and with members departing off and on. Might this or the believed to be next full-length be as good or better than Stories of Brothers? perhaps. But I guess I'm just going to wait and see. I have not heard the opening track "Give it a Rest" that is streamable/downloadable below via Soundcloud. But I suppose hearing that might change how I feel.

I'm at the library right now without headphones, so that's going to have to wait at least a few hours. As far as the tour, they are opening for of all bands, Electric Six, lol. And of course it's still Canada-exclusive. I have too many other shows/trips/events in the coming months to realistically think about traveling for one these shows. But I guess it may be worth pricing a trip out to Winnipeg, like I did a few years ago, just to get a ballpark figure.

I remember wanting to go up there to see a show on the Stories of Brothers tour, and it would have ended up costing me about $300 or more. Yet, a show in town here? probably about $15 + merch. But someday hopefully, as long they don't break up.

  article

By Gregory Adams 
West Coast unit Bend Sinister have yet to release a full-length follow-up to 2008's Stories of Brothers, Tales of Lovers, but at least the band have some new tunes to deliver to their devoted next month, via their upcoming five-song EP On My Mind. 


The mini-platter arrives March 6 through File Under: Music. Described as coming "from a band that clearly knows that their capabilities as players and songwriters are limitless," the record apparently touts a sound that seamlessly bounces from prog rock to pop anthems, according to the press release. The collection was captured by Shawn Cole (You Say Party, Yukon Blonde) at Vancouver studios Fader Master and Mushroom, and you can check out the opening number "Give It a Rest" down below. 


Though a new LP has yet to be properly announced, the press sheet hints that the EP "acts as a teaser for more great things to come." 


While the studio news is no doubt welcomed, Bend Sinister also just unveiled an upcoming Canadian tour schedule, which has them heading out from BC to Quebec and back again. You can see the details of the March trip down below.

Tour dates:
3/1 Kelowna, BC - The Habitat
3/2 Olds, AB - Tracks Pub 

3/6 Montreal, QC - L'Esco Bar
3/8 London, ON - Call The Office
3/10 Toronto, ON - Cherry Cola
 
3/13 Winnipeg, MB - The Pyramid
 
3/14 Regina, SK - The Exchange
 
3/15 Saskatoon, SK - Amigos
 
3/16 Calgary, AB - The Gateway
 
3/17 Edmonton, AB - The Starlite Room
 
3/18 Banff, AB - Wildbills
 
3/19 Jasper, AB - The Horseshoe Club
 
3/20 Fernie, BC - The Northern
 
3/21 Nelson, BC - The Hume Hotel
 
3/22 Kamloops, BC - Catus Jacks
 
3/23 Vancouver, BC - Venue
 
3/24 Victoria, BC - Club 9one9
 
3/26 Whistler, BC - Garibaldi Lift Company