Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Bohemian Rhapsody the Movie and FREDDIE MERCURY

So there's a long hyperbolic entry here coming, given I finally did see the long awaited Freddie Mercury/Queen Biopic that came out initially in November.

Won the Golden Globe and Rami Malek won for best actor.

Okay, a year ago, 3 years ago, even 10 or more years ago, I was not too excited about this given I felt Sascha Baron Cohen would not be a good choice to play Freddie.

And then a few years ago with the news about the dude from Mr.Robot playing him, I was still very skeptical.

And then the information and eventual reviews talking about how inaccurate the timelines were about events and when music was written. When Freddie was diagnosed with AIDS, etc.

I still had low expectations, even after initially being impressed by the Trailers.

So I saw it on Saturday/Sunday per Redbox, and while knowing those things would factor in, I actually really liked it.

Rami, while his performance and way of speaking/tone/personality at times was a little subdued and subtle, I think it worked really well.

I now have no problem with it winning Best Picture at the Globes and Rami getting Best Actor.

And the Academy Awards nominations and if it wins, also I will have no problem with.

I was actually in tears, really fighting them back after watching the end of it on Sunday morning, especially seeing the Live AID Wembley recreation.

So I should also add something about Freddie Mercury.

I have felt, and seeing this film and then habitually watching interviews on YouTube about the guy, I am magnetically drawn to him for some almost unexplainable reason.

There is something intrinsically unique about his personality, his way of speaking.

His humor
His god-given voice and songwriting
His imagination
His warmth


I think it even goes beyond his ability as a musician.

He's like Michael J Fox as among others, Alex P Keaton or Marty McFly. He's inherently LIKE-ABLE and enjoyable to hear speak.

And it's impossible to not get wrapped-up in loving him and appreciating his story.

His struggle is very sympathetic.

He's like a puppy dog I can't avoid being drawn to.

So naturally seeing this movie and Rami's performance brings tears out.

And it may already kind of have changed my feeling about Malek as well, maybe in sort of a Nicholas Cage or Renee Zelwegger kind of way. I may have to start watching Mr.Robot now, or at least look for movies he does in the future. At this point, I am cheering for him this weekend at the Oscars.

oh, 1 other point I suppose is with Queen. My NOSTALGIA with them is in the early 90's and Wayne's World their Greatest Hits cds did. I of course didn't know much classic rock other than The Beatles a few other groups until I was 14. But Bohemian Rhapsody the song and KQRS kind of got me into that.

And then really about 2000, 2001, 2002 I dove into their albums, although I don't know them religiously, I might want to revisit and visit for the 1st time some of them, especially after seeing this, I kind of have a renewed/new sense of love for them and Freddie.

Maybe I'll do a Top 10+ Queen songs too before/during or after that reviewing of their albums (the 80's and 90's especially).

I'm not sure I get the sense about him with many others just from seeing footage.