Thursday, January 3, 2019

Meaningful Songs: Joe Jackson - Stepping Out

Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out

I can honestly say, this is a totally stone cold classic pop tune. So memorable and now seems to give me goosebumps.

As short as possible: I am pretty certain I knew this tune years ago. One of those 80's hits/1-hit wonders. Although I kind of think I may have confused it with either Steve Winwood or Bruce Hornsby and the Range.

And I hardly know his catalog, but from reading some and knowing a few of his other popular songs, this one is very much an isolated type of track; i.e. he doesn't really have any other tunes, or at least Hits like this ("Is She Really Going Out With Him" sounds NOTHING like this).

It almost sounds like a Billy Joel tune in some ways.

Anyway, it's really pleasant and inspiring. Epic in some ways, with its xylophone/bells and vocal melodies. Like someone whose ascending or transitioning..maybe to be more extroverted? maybe coming out of the closet? I dunno, but it sounds fantastic still. Like "Take on Me" or even some of those huge Toto hits, there's something special about it, even just the production sounds pristine.