Saturday, December 24, 2016

Matisyahu - Miracle (Catchy Channukah/Holidaze song)




I was just looking up Channukah related songs and haven't paid attention to Matisyahu's music in a number of years. But I stumbled across this song/video from 2010 which I take it to be about not just Channukah, but more of Holidaze/Festivus ideal.
 
"Miracle" very catchy track!

It also got me thinking about a couple of things related to Channukah and music. What are the best songs involving/related to Channukah?

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings have a nice one in "8 Days of Channukah," but otherwise, there's not many beyond say the Adam Sandler comedy-track.

But given Matisyahu was able to write and record a song that is good, why haven't other Jewish musicians?

Orphaned Land
Aviv Geffen/Blackfield
Mike Portnoy
Jordan Rudess
Bill Joel
Paul Simon
many others just from googling

Also Greg Herriges wrote a tune, although it's more about culture than the holiday, and I don't believe it's been recorded and released, just played live.

And additionally, I haven't thought a lot about Matisyahu in many years, but this song may get my interest back with him.