Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Jealous Girlfriends - THE JEALOUS GIRLFRIENDS

Edit: expect some edits..but this is my notes from last week with this re-release:

I like this band and album..not spectacular, but nothing bad about it. I went back to it like 3 times a few weeks ago. Remind me at times bands like The Ebb and Flow, Black Mountain, Menomena, and some of those Shoegaze bands of the early 90's like The My Bloody Valentine and The Raveonettes. I found out about them via another blog and realized they were playing in town in June, opening for Sea Wolf. Suppose when I do see them, my impressions may change. But certainly a good discovery for myself, especially in the past few weeks.




The Jealous Girlfriends - The Jealous Girlfriends

myspace

Secret Identity - distorted guitars..wall-of-sound..female vocals remind of many shoegaze bands

How Now -

The Pink Wig - NA NA NA NA NA NA NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..melodic CHANTING harmonies

Roboxulla - like the piano and psych layers w/ vox and guitars. FEMALE SINGER REMINDS ME OF THE FEMALE SINGER FROM THE EBB AND FLOW A LOT...great whoahhh whooah whooahhhh harmonies toward the end

I QUIT - fuckinG IT UP FUCKING IT UP IN THE VERY WORST WAY..THAT'S OK BECAUSE"..NEW WAVE GUITAR ALA eDITORS OR bLOC PARTY

Organs...-key-lead..bluesy..'if you love something set it free and if it comes back"..sax rhythm is nice..builds

HIEROGRLYPHICS..delayed guitars..dig the ending with the piano

sOMETHING IN THE WATER - NICE RIFF..reminds me of Broken Social Scene

Gift Horse - one of the best riffs and guitar work on this album

Machines - great song!..higher..love the "there's hole in your soul and man you've got nothing" with the piano..kinda like a Menomena-thing..it repeats and lasts over 2 mins which could have been even longer

Carry Me - ending ballad..almost sounds like a Bend Sinister ballad..vocal inflection and feel

3 1/4 stars
6.5/10

No comments :